Friday, October 17, 2008

No one in the world has Swagger like me...

"I can't teach you my swag, you can pay for school but you can't buy class..."
~Jay-Z - Swagger Like Us [by T.I.] (2008)

What's with all these references to Swagger? These people callin me out? Why all of a sudden is that the buzzword in Hip-Hop? Most importantly... why does everyone think they have it? I'm not saying Jay doesn't have it, cause he does... and admittedly, I think that's where I bit the term from...

"I got a hustla spirit, n---- period
Check out my hat yo, peep the way I wear it
Check out my swag' yo, I walk like a ballplayer
No matter where you go, you are what you are player
And you can try to change but that's just the top layer
Man, you was who you was 'fore you got here..."
~Jay-Z - Public Service Announcement (The Black Album - 2003)

That, right there, is the essence of what Swagger J is all about. Be confident in who you are, because at the end of the day, that's all you are. You.

That's what swagger is, at least how I see it. All of these people walkin around think they have swagger because they're cocky and have money, but how many of these images are the real person? The word has lost it's meaning...

But it's all good, it's not like I have any ownership of the word or anything. People can use it however they want to, just like any other word. In fact, if you look the word up in Webster's Dictionary (since that's what people like to do when they want to make it look like they know what they're talking about), it has a pretty negative connotation. Here, I'll save you the trouble:


==========
Main Entry:
1swag·ger
Pronunciation:
\ˈswa-gər\
Function:
verb
Etymology:
probably from 1swag + -er (as in chatter)
Date:
circa 1596

intransitive verb
1: to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner
: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence

2: boast , brag

transitive verb
1:to force by argument or threat
: bully

==========

You're welcome... Yeah, not the greatest word according to definition... but you know what, that's how Webster's defines it... I don't let anyone define me! (Cue cheesy music)

Yada yada yada, ramble, ramble, ramble... Swagger is a cool word, just stop using it so much or people will think I stole it from Lil' Wayne or some shit... (I stole it from Jay-Z, get it right!)


T-Pain out!
[enable voicebox]
Ooooh I can't believe it!
Oh, oh, they usin swagger, swagger!
It, it, feels like a dagger, dagger!
But does even matter? naaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww
[disable voicebox]

hmm... sucks that not too many words rhyme with 'swagger'... especially ones that make sense. oh well, had to get that song outta my head... and I'm out!
(for real this time)

~SJ

1 comment:

Paulina. said...

Nice post!
I linked to it in my blog, hope that's okay with you.

http://aniluap11.blogspot.com/2010/03/procrastination-spoiler.html